EDCI 338-A01: Social Media & Personal Learning

Engaging our PLN’s

As we have learned throughout this course, professional learning networks are associated with effective professional development. A successful PLN will aid in collaboration, communication, and professional opportunities. Van Dijk (2006) describes this interactivity of digital media as a shift in the balance of power – with the user in control of their learning. Since we are in control of our own learning, how can we best move our PLN’s  forward to engage in future relationships and career opportunities on a larger scale? And what does that look like?

To help me answer these questions, I listened to the Wakelet Podcast titled, ‘The Benefits of Growing your Network & PLN!’ (2022). Below is what I have learned.

Can our PLN’s be used to help professional development post-course?

During the podcast, Storer (2022) mentions the power of Twitter and using  it to gain new experiences, meet new people, grow her network and continuing to connect with people before and after conferences (5:51).

Wilson (2022) discusses the fact that networking previously happened through attending in-person  conferences but once COVID hit – she had to pivot to using Wakelet and other online professional opportunities to enhance her learning. She also uses Twitter to connect with other professionals and make meaningful connections with people whom she has never met in person (8:39).

Both professionals on the Wakelet team use Twitter and virtual conferences as a great way to continuously engage  with our PLN’s to expand our connections and opportunities that are afforded by digital networks. As a teacher-in-training, I know that conferences will be a big part of my professional development but I now know that Twitter is an excellent platform to engage with other professionals before, during, and especially after conferences to continue to grow and learn as  an educator.

The Wakelet teams’ advice on engaging with other professionals pre and post conference:

• It is okay to ‘lurk’ in the beginning – when you first join its okay to just observe but at some point you want to participate in conversations, and meet new people because the benefits are immense
  • You have to get uncomfortable – be willing to put yourself out there in online communities to grow professionally
  • Take the first step – reach out to one person and grow connections through following similar people (recommended lists on Twitter are a great start)

(Storer & Wilson, 2022, 40:00-42:00)

Can our PLN’s be relied on to open professional opportunities?

Networking involves putting yourself out there, taking risks, and building on current connections. Opportunities will continue to present themselves if we continuously work on our PLN by staying active in online communities (Storer, 2022, 38:40). I am excited to build on my current connections and seize learning opportunities as they present themselves!

I can do this by:

• Learning how to ask for help – “There is power in asking and taking a chance” (Storer, 25:23).
  • Reaching out to help others – networking is a give and take
  • Learning about new tools to enhance my professions – seeking out new and up and coming tech will support my learning goals

My colleagues post on engaging their PLN post-course:

In their blog, Sadhik mentions the exchange of ideas and sharing of learning that naturally happens through our PLN’s and how that interactivity can fully support our professional development post-course. I appreciate that no matter how different our learning networks may look, the benefits are essentially the same: we all can all advance in our professions through the help of digital networks. I also agree with Sadhik on the importance of frequency – we need to continuously keep in touch with our networks and connections if we want to reap the professional rewards that our PLN’s can provide. Thanks for your insights, Sadhik!

Blog #10 Engaging your PLN

Del Giudice, M. (2014). From Information Society to Network Society: The Challenge. In: Social Media and Emerging Economies. Springer Briefs in Business. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-02490-5_5

Wakelet (2022). The Benefits of Growing your Network & PLN!. #TheWakeletPodcast. Retrieved from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEa8JgAE_qM

1. letterstokate

Hi, I enjoyed reading your blog post! I agree that it’s okay to ‘lurk’ in the beginning as you first test the waters of a new media environment, such as on Twitter. It helps you get a sense of how people are interacting and engaging in conversations, and once you feel comfortable enough, you can choose to be a part of the conversations you find interesting. Being the first one to reach out to someone is invaluable because it kickstarts a connection that may have not even occurred. Thanks for sharing.