EDCI 338-A01: Social Media & Personal Learning

PLN’s in Education

Dr. Bradley Baker is a member of the Squamish nation and has been involved in education for over 20 years (Miller, 2021). He has taken on the role of an educator, District Principle of the North Vancouver school district , Executive Director of the BC Ministry of Education and more recently – the Associate Superintendent of Indigenous Education for BC. His influence and  involvement in bettering education for BC students can be witnessed through his community communications and professional roles. This week, I listened to an interview with Dr. Baker in which he identify the themes of using a PLN in a professional capacity and expanded on them to consider what/which social media platforms are beneficial in education and how we can be thoughtful to ensure everyone is included and protected when accessing and using online networks to enhance learning.

Themes of using a professional PLN in education:

PLN’s in education can be so much more than sharing lesson plans and blowing off steam with colleagues. PLN’s should provide a means for educators to take charge of their professional development and connect with other professionals to stay current on best practices, local/global issues, and strategies to better their communities. In his interview, Dr. Baker discussed themes of PLN use in education that are meaningful to him and how he enacts these ideas via his PLN networks.

Political conversations – PLN’s can be effective in sharing POV and current issues within society. Below is a recent example of Dr. Baker using his PLN to  share his support of a local mayoral candidate.

Support system/relationship building – Creating strong networks of support is crucial in education to engage in professional dialogue.

Community initiatives -PLN networks can help us to become positive contributors to society

Share stories – Social media can humanize our professional roles by sharing personal and familial stories.

Miller (2021)

Which social media platforms are beneficial in education?

There are so many social media platforms and I won’t pretend to know them all. I am however learning the importance of Twitter, YouTube, Instagram and even TikTok in educational environments to enhance learning for educators and students. I aim to use these platforms in a professional capacity to build connections with colleagues, discover diverse perspectives, engage with my community, and further my professional development. I also want to practice and model digital literacy as I utilize social media platforms in my future classrooms for my students to realize the same benefits that social media can provide for their own educational journeys.

How does social media fit into professionalism and regulations when working with the vulnerable sector?

When implementing social media into our professional careers we must be mindful of multiple perspectives and underrepresented voices. In his interview, Dr. Baker discusses the value of social media as a means to hear the ‘true’ story of individuals and communities experiences versus what mainstream media (and their inherent biases) provide. When using social media in a professional capacity we must also be mindful of the ethics involved (ie. privacy) and conduct ourselves in a way that is inclusive to all populations.

Below is another example of a local educator – Jeff Hopkins (founder and principal of PSII) – utilizing his PLN to engage in discourse regarding policies in education.

MILLER. (2021). Brad Baker EDCI 338 [Video]. YouTube.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5z8iHxW2n4

1. caitlindoraty

Hey! Great blog!
    I like how you use bullet points to share your thoughts. You’ve nailed making it concise and to the point. I also really liked how you shared examples from Twitter.