EDCI 338-A01: Social Media & Personal Learning

Balancing Perspectives with Media Literacy

Common Sense Media (2020) describes media literacy as, “the ability to identify different types of media and understand the messages they’re sending.” In today’s digital world, media literacy has become increasingly important as media is easier than ever to create, and we don’t always know who has created it – and for what intended purpose.

Media literacy helps us to:

• learn to think critically
  • become a smart consumer of products and information
  • recognize points of view
  • create media responsibly
  • identify the role of media in our culture
  • understand the authors goal

Common Sense Media (2020)

The Media Literacy Expert

Julie Smith • Webster University Experts Directory

This week I listened to an interview between Jesse Miller and Julie Smith – a communications instructor at Webster University in St. Louis, Missouri. Smith not only teaches but has also authored a book on mass communications and media literacy – a field of study that according to her, is changing every-single day (2021). In her interview she explains that we can find false information, on any topic, at any time on the internet, and that is why it is so crucial to teach media literacy in our current times. Smith also stresses the effort and knowledge that is required to find resources that are valid and factual as well as the importance of balancing perspectives with your media diet (2021).

Why should we bother balancing perspectives by consuming media we don’t agree with?

People often seek out information that supports and confirms their cognitive biases. Additionally, social media and search engine algorithms steer us towards media that further supports our viewpoints and opinions – effectively increasing our biases. While practicing media literacy it is important to critically explore diverse perspectives. This will provide a balanced and well-rounded understanding of differing opinions and values and  opportunities to change ones mind as new information is presented. When teaching media literacy to students, we also want to ensure we are providing them with varying  perspectives and the tools to critically decide for themselves what  to believe. We want to teach students HOW to think, not WHAT to think (2021).

Open dialogues about media literacy and factual information can create conflict, why does
this happen?

Julie Smith (2021) describes this as ‘pull’ news vs ‘push’ news. There are thousands of choices to achieve our media consumption – we can ‘pull’ from many different sources that support our beliefs vs. historical media (radio broadcasts etc.) where media was ‘pushed’ on us.  If we are constantly pulling media that supports our ideas, we will ‘other’ varying viewpoints, effectively increasing opportunities for conflict.

Key questions to ask when practicing media literacy:

• Who created this?
  • Why did they make it?
  • Who is the message for?
  • What techniques are being used to make this message credible or believable?
  • What details were left out, and why?
  • How did the message make you feel?

Common Sense Media (2020)

What is the benefit of having a PLN that values media literacy?

Within my own PLN,  I will practice media literacy as I connect with other professionals and diverse perspectives to ensure that I am empowering my own learning processes on an individual and a professional level.  As an educator I will also incorporate media literacy throughout my curriculum to ensure my students understand the messages they are receiving, why they were created, and what questions  they can ask to evaluate the authenticity of the media they consume.

My colleagues blog:

Yuxin, I found it interesting that you mention consensus building in relation to seeking out others opinions  on your PLN. You state that, “striving for diverse opinions in a PLN is more about getting people to share their opinions with each other, and to listen and understand different information to facilitate communication and learning among all.”  I think the most powerful piece of that (and of communication) is listening. When we listen to diverse perspectives and voices, we create learning environments where everyone is valued- whether we can agree, or not. Thanks for the read!

Blog #9

Resources:

Common Sense Media (2020). What is media literacy, and why is it important? Retrieved from: https://www.commonsensemedia.org/articles/what-is-media-literacy-and-why-is-it-important 

1. fritzpetersen

That’s a great point. I also covered the point about the “push vs. pull” in my blog this week. I think that it’s such a great way to explain the current situation of social media and PLN’s. Approaching media outlets knowing this is important for oneself to help them seek information correctly online, and maintain an open mind.